Front End Web Developer Job Description
This job was posted on 30 March 2023 and the application deadline is Friday 21 April 2023.
We’re on the hunt for a talented and ambitious Front-End Web Web Developer to join our team. The successful applicant will likely have 3-5 years experience developing bespoke websites and be comfortable working with modern front end development tools and frameworks.
Need to know
- Salary around £35k, dependent on experience
- UK based, full time, with flexible or hybrid working options
- MacBook with 27" external display, keyboard and mouse
In joining the team at A Digital, you'll be working with long established clients including Windermere Lake Cruises, James Clay and Hawkshead Relish. You'll also be supporting our ambitious plans for growth as we look to extend our client base over the coming months.
About the role
You’ll be joining our busy team and contributing to full project builds, smaller site updates, browser testing and anything else to enable us to meet the high expectations of our clients. You’ll be comfortable working towards project milestones, reporting to our studio manager and collaborating with colleagues and clients to keep projects moving forwards.
Working from bespoke designs produced in tools like Figma, we build high performing and rock solid responsive websites and custom applications. Our stack includes Craft CMS and Laravel with much of our code written from scratch, so experience integrating with server side code and CMS tags is a must.
Ideally you'll have experienced the fast-paced nature of working in an agency, or you might have been freelancing and be on the look out for a new opportunity.
We’ll expect you to be able to
- Write responsive, maintainable and performant code with HTML, ECMAScript and CSS3 (we use Tailwind.css on all new builds, but older sites can be using different variations of CSS)
- Accurately code page templates from design tools such as Sketch and Figma
- Build responsive websites with a CMS (our preferred platform is Craft CMS)
- Bring your own ideas and creative problem solving to projects
- Maintain and support our existing sites
- Test and debug errors to ensure cross-browser compatibility
- Be an excellent communicator both internally with our team and our clients
- Estimate and manage your own time, as well as take the initiative to share new ideas
- Work with Git and deploy code from repos
- Have a solid grasp of web standards and accessibility
Any of the following skills would be a bonus.
- Knowledge of Tailwind.css and Alpine.js
- Experience with Craft CMS and Twig templating (or at least, the desire to learn it)
- Familiarity with PHP or similar backend technologies
- A solid grasp of build tools and package managers (such as Laravel Mix, Webpack, Composer)
- Experience with other platforms including ExpressionEngine, WordPress or Shopify (although we never build on WordPress, we occasionally inherit WordPress sites and migrate them to Craft CMS).
Applying for the Role
If you’re interested in this role, then please send a CV and covering letter along with anything else (portfolio, website, video etc.) that you feel will help your application stand out.
You should include links to at least 3 live projects where you can demonstrate your involvement and what you learned from them. Ideally you'll have an up to date personal website summarising your key skills and experience.
Our recruitment process
Our recruitment process will begin with a video call at a mutually convenient time to introduce each other and learn about what you’re looking for in your next role. If we both feel there’s a good fit, then we’ll arrange a follow up conversation (ideally in person) to get to know you a little more.
Finally we'll ask you to complete a short technical exercise to demonstrate your skills and give you the opportunity to present your work.
Location and Basis
Applications are open to anyone with the right to live and work in the UK and will be offered as either hybrid or full-time remote.
The anticipated salary for this role is in the region of £35k dependent on experience.
We’re an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from anyone eligible to work in the UK to create a diverse workplace that is inclusive and welcoming to all.
Details and Applications
You can download the job spec as a PDF which includes details of how to apply, along with a list of benefits.Read the full job spec